Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fern Lace Progress

Two posts in two days, almost unprecedented, I know, but, since I finished the 13th repeat and started the 14th, I decided to update y'all on how this project was going.

I would be about two rows further, if not three, if I didn't have to tink nearly one whole row last night while being disturbed deeply by the auditions on American Idol. =) I managed to do row 7 as row 9 for most of the width of the stole. Who knows why? It could have been the grating sounds on TV, I suppose, I'm surprised I didn't do worse. I do it to myself, though, I don't HAVE to watch it, do I?

Anyway, I decided to take a couple of back lit pictures to show off the lace pattern. Even unblocked, it actually looks ok.

I'm very much looking forward to getting it blocked to see how airy it can get. I plan to block it rather severely so that it will be all floaty and light. squeeeeeee!

Of course, I also had to do at least ONE artsy photo with depth AND back lighting =))

OH, and I should mention, too, that Shannon suggested the Russian Join for lace. I have used this join previously, but was a little skeptical of whether it would work with a two ply yarn. Well, let me tell ya, it works JUST fine. Great, even. I haven't gotten to the second yarn cake, yet, but came upon a knot in the yarn (my second one, actually) so I decided to give it a trial run. I'm super happy with the result! When I do the join next time, I'll photo the process just in case any of you would like to see how well it works.

Since I am nearly half way on this project, I may just cast on for my super secret project in the next week or so. That way I'll still have something to blog about while working on that a bit here and there.

Of course, those of you who have access to Ravelry can always see what I'm up to in there. The rest will sadly have to wait until the project is gifted before I post it here. (unless you are super curious and email me for info)

On a little less positive note, well, maybe not less, just different. This week marks one year since my first major meltdown. This week through next week, actually, and I don't always do so great with first anniversaries of traumatic events. I've been a little melancholy, but not too terrible. Tired, mainly, because of how much my brain keeps trying to work the whole thing out. I'm not dwelling on it in the conscious so much, and the advice I was given was to turn it over, as something I can't control, to God. Which is what I've been doing. It works pretty good, of course, but it doesn't hurt to also ask for help. (something I've not been so good at doing in the past, and part of how I got to that dark place before) So, here I am, asking for help. Positive energy, vibes, whatever you call it in your house. Think about me a little here and there during these next few days? Thanks, everyone! Love y'all =)

10 comments:

Dreams of Yarn said...

I would totally LOVE to see a photo documented process of the Russian join! do it!

And for the record, I touch base with you now and again because I'm always sending good thoughts and hoping you are being good to you.

Chris said...

Good thoughts, vibes, and prayers coming your way. Lace is gorgeous

Robin said...

That lace is GORGEOUS!! Hey, I'm thinking about ya!!

lobstah said...

That is so, so beautiful! Very impressive.
We are all here rooting for you. Take care.

Patty said...

Strong good thoughts are coming your way from wintery Canada! And that lace is simply spectacular. I just love it. I haven't knit a lace project since my first foray back into knitting because each one I've tried has ended up a knot. You're my hero!

Anonymous said...

You know you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

The stole is looking marvelous too.

Susan said...

I'm thinking of you, too! Take care!

Tracy said...

Sending good thoughts. vibes. etc. Try not to dwell on the past, but concentrate on the good things going on today, if you can. Your stole is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That lace is breathtaking!!!I love the Russian join too. I don't know what I did before I knew that method.
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Wanna do it !!!

I'm into lace in 2008.

Have you seen my "new" blog ? come over ! www.manu.braveblog.com aka Fibers and Flowers with Camelisou :-)
As in Camille and Elise, the bestest twins of all !

How do you do these days !